Strong characters—main and side characters—can bring your story to life. They’re hard to write but worth it to help readers stay immersed in your story.
Here are fifteen questions to help build your characters:
- What is the second thing your character wants the most?
- What social media would be your character’s favorite? How would they use it?
- Does your character lie well?
- What does your character not want people to know about them?
- What were your character’s childhood obsessions?
- How does your character’s parents’ beliefs and actions affect them?
- Does who your character admires change as they grow up?
- What is the worst thing your character has done?
- What is their darkest memory? What is their happiest?
- What keeps them up at night?
- Does your character have any habits or routines?
- What is their biggest regret?
- What’s one thing your character needs to improve on but they themselves don’t know about yet?
- Does your character even want to change?
- Where would your character love to go?
Hopefully this list helps!