Even though it may seem so, you’re not alone when you write a query letter. Below are some tips to help make your query the best it can be.
- Queries are about half a page long on a Word document. They’re around 200 words.
- Queries are not meant to be a summary of your novel. Don’t tell everything that will happen.
- Queries focus on 1 or 2 characters. Having more than 2 characters makes the query a bit overwhelming. If your story goes through multiple POVs, pick the POV of your first character.
- As you expand on your plot, make sure you also expand on your character. Let the agent connect to your character.
- Queries are almost always written in present tense.
- Book titles are always in capital letters.
- Word count and genre must both be mentioned.